Reporting to CEO
Helvetas USA, a 501(c)(3) based in Washington, DC, is a young internationally operating NGO affiliated with Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation, the largest Swiss-based international development NGO, which works in thirty countries throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe.
As Business Development Manager, you are a self-starter who is excited to work in a dynamic start-up environment. You will support Helvetas USA’s US market growth strategy, both with the federal government and select private foundations. You will identify business opportunities and lead partnerships from inception through full execution in support of our team in Washington, D.C., as well as our country program teams. You will expand and cultivate relationships with a wide variety of partners, developing teaming strategies and approaches and negotiating technical roles and budgets. You enjoy working in the fast-paced environment of proposal development ranging from writing capability statements to drafting concept notes and proposals. Additionally, you excel in a team-oriented environment that includes working on multiple, simultaneous projects, and are flexible to work on special projects, when needed.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Researching, analysing, and planning new business growth opportunities.
- Conducting competitive intelligence to position Helvetas USA in the marketplace.
- Supporting effective internal communication and information management processes to ensure that Helvetas staff has access to business development information.
- Advancing new business opportunities from capture to proposal submission.
- Supporting Helvetas USA capture teams in the identification of national and international USAID vendor partners.
- Participating in field reconnaissance for new project opportunities and recruiting candidates for proposed staff positions.
- Reacting to the demands and priorities of the proposal process and needs of the proposal team.
- Negotiating Helvetas USA’s role on teams and consortia to ensure a competitive position that adheres to organizational best practices and strategic direction.
- Contributing to proposal efforts as lead writer on strategic bids or as contributing writer by coordinating submission of extensive technical content.
- Providing business development services to guide or lead Helvetas USA proposal teams in opportunity analysis, proposal preparation, review, and after-action review, ensuring the timely submission of high quality deliverables.
- Contributing to the development and dissemination of standardized business development materials such as learning resources, guidelines, tools and templates.
- Building the capacity of local staff at the country level.
- Supporting networking and relationship-building between prime capture management teams and Helvetas country offices.
- Assisting in organizing events and site visits for local USAID staff.
- International travel: up to 30%.
- BA/BS in in International Development or Relations, Law, Economics, Agriculture, or other relevant area of studies.
- 5 years of professional experience on a business development team.
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communications skills.
- In-depth experience using Microsoft Office products that include MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in federal business development, capture and proposal management.
- MA/MS degree in Business, International Relations, or related field.
- Understanding of compliance and cost.
- Familiarity with developing countries, particularly Africa, Asia and or Latin America.
- Language skills in French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 10, 2019.
US work authorization is required.